Wednesday, June 22, 2011

page two

So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." And there was evening, and there was morning - the fifth day. Genesis 1:21-23

It has been over a month since my post on Genesis 1:20. That's a pretty long time to leave a blog stagnant...

My reasoning is fairly simple. Nearly every day I stared at Genesis 1:21, and had absolutely no idea what to write about. Genesis 1 has so much repetition, I feel like my blog is some sort of broken record! The story of creation contains a process that is repeated over and again: God spoke into creation, added more detail, called it 'good' and the day was completed.

By day five, I have already said the same things four times over! (so it seems)

Then I realized something simply daunting: day five has brought me to page two of my Bible.

Page two!

This blog has been in existence since July 23, 2010 -- almost exactly eleven months ago.
In eleven months, I have managed  to read (and analyze) one page of my Bible.

Granted, I have not blogged every day; not even every week. Regardless, it is obvious that my one-thousand-two-hundred-and-twenty page Bible can not be fully read (in this manner) in even ten of my (potentially 100-year) lifetimes.

Why, then, will I continue in this pursuit which can never be completed?


Understanding God is a process that will never be completed.

I want to understand God! In all probability, that is completely impossible. At the very least, however, I want to understand far more than I do today. How else might I know how to praise Him?

Look once more at the three verses above. God created every creature in the ocean (even those we do not know about) and every bird in the sky.


If you are not amazed, you should open your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment